Protecting What You Value Most

Parental Relocation, Move-Aways And Divorce

When a child’s residence has been restricted to a particular geographic area in Texas, a parent cannot move the child’s residence with the child outside of that area without first getting approval from the court. Typically, this means that the parent wishing to move must seek a court order modifying the geographic restriction.

But even if the current custody order does not restrict a child’s residence to a specific geographical location, a parent cannot move the child’s residence without regard to the other parent. And the parent opposing such a move can file a motion challenging the relocation as well as obtain a temporary restraining order to prevent the move until authorized by the court. If you need help obtaining an order allowing you to relocate your child, or if you wish to dispute a proposed child relocation, the attorneys at Travers & Travers have the experience to handle your child relocation matter.

Contact Your Katy Family Law Firm

Our family of attorneys is ready to help your family with issues involved in child relocation. Please call our office at 281-492-2166 to make an appointment or use our online form.