Protecting What You Value Most

Can my ex make up for missed days in a custody agreement?

by | May 31, 2019 |

Most co-parents know that sometimes scheduling conflicts arise. However, you and your kids can be deeply affected if your ex is consistently unable to follow through with your custody agreement.

Here’s what your options are if they other parent is asking to make up for missed parent time.

What happens if visitation plan****s are missed?

Unless specified in your custody plan, there is no legal obligation for you to allow your ex an opportunity to make up for a scheduled parenting time that he or she missed. In most cases, this time is considered a loss for your ex.

When you should make exceptions

However, custody decisions are normally made so that the child has opportunity to grow with both parents. So, if your ex needs to make a slight change to plans, such as picking up your child on Saturday morning instead of Friday night, it’s a good idea to be a little flexible when possible.

Also, consider making an exception if the change is in your child’s best interest. For example, if your ex won tickets to a sporting event and wants to take your child, it might make sense to give up one of your days so that your child can enjoy this experience. Being able to work with the other parent can help out with scheduling conflicts you encounter in the future.

Consider changing your plan if…

Although, if your ex is proposing to make permanent changes to your custody agreement or has habitually neglected its rules, formal changes to the agreement may be necessary. Keep in mind that custody courts will not expect you to set your schedule based solely on the other parent.

But, if the other parent got a new job, works a different shift or has made another large change in their lifestyle, your custody agreement should reflect this. Working with a professional can help you better understand your rights as a parent as they compare to your ex.